Thursday, December 8, 2011

Some thoughts on 2012

Over at Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog, he's begun thinking about his 2012 wargaming goals

Go take a look if you haven't. It's quite inspiring (and a little mad) and has me thinking about what I might like to set down for my own hobby-related agenda in the upcoming year.

On the one hand, I'm hesitant to say I definitely want to do such-and-such, since it's a hobby, should be fun, and frankly, I tend to like to go where the wind takes me. That said, I think some longer range thinking could give me some focus so when I do find myself with some time to spend at the painting/gaming table, I have an idea of what I'd like to do already.

My guiding principle is that, in order for me to call something a hobby, I have to devote at least one hour a week to it. That's it. If I can't do that, it's time to reevaluate why I say I participate in the activity.

On the short list (and likely final list but I'll wait on that):
  • Post 2x a week to this blog
  • Complete 60% of my Little Wars anniversary project
  • Complete two 2mm knitting canvas armies (Napoleonic France and Russia) for gaming Table Top Teasers
  • Play at least one wargame a month.- this could be hex-and-counter, board game, miniatures or some combination thereof.
There's a lot more items on the long list - hence the name "Long List" (seemed kind of obvious, but just in case). A lot of those items can be tied to the last bullet point, which makes that a handy goal to have.

Among those that I consider likely to happen whether or not I write them down:
  • A Wild West campaign using the original Six-Gun Sound rules from THW, my 25mm cowboys and pistoleros and Whitewash City buildings.
  • 15mm VSF games/campaign involving the French Foreign Legion, lizard folk, Prussian infantry, G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. character minis in a Lost World setting using my own rules or the old free edition of Adventures in Jimland
  • WWII games in Europe, Eastern front, and Pacific Theater in various scales and rules
  • 25mm Fantasy games/campaign using Chronicles of Blood and/or Song of Blades and Heroes with paper flats and possibly, later in the year, minis.
  • Heroclix games galore
Then again, publicly committing to them may increase their likelihood of happening. I'll think more on this over the course of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment