Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

Not 5 days into the New Year and I have scrapped my goal of a 54mm Morschauser Horse &Musket game.


With much gnashing of teeth and sleepless nights (OK, not really), and searching for suitable figures in plastic, I realized that if I'm going to do big (as in figure scale, not battalion size) games other than WWII in plastic, I want to do it in the old school way - metal \m/. 


Casting my own would be ideal (I love love LOVE the 42mm Prince August semi-flat molds and their 54mm toy soldier series for late 19th C. imaginations), but it's a bit more than I have time or money for this year given the scope of my two other main goals. Doing this would, however, tie in rather neatly with my goal of playing a Little Wars game in 2013 and so I think I already have my 2013 project picked out.


Still, I wasn't ready to abandon Morschauser and his Horse & Musket rules and so I'll be doing this project in 1/72 plastic instead, with Zvezda's Swedes and Russians for the Great Northern War:




I've ordered one box of dragoons, artillery and infantry for each side - which is enough to assemble each army to Morschauser's specifications with one slight modification (reducing bases per regiment from 5 to 4). While there are several 15mm and 25mm ranges, the Zvezda's sculpts just look so much better to my eyes.


I can't wait for them to get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment