Friday, January 13, 2012

Featherstone's Solo Wargaming

I've heard about this book for a couple of years but hesitated in buying it until recently - it seemed just a little pricey for a relatively small paper back.
But, for Christmas, I received Featherstone's <i>Battlenotes for Wargamers: Solo Edition</i> and I enjoyed his writing style in the introduction enough to push me closer to a purchase. An unexpected gift card from my managers at work tipped the scale.

My new bible
All i can say is, I'm only 3 chapters in but I can't believe I waited this long to get this book!

OK, that's not all i can say.


I've already got a bunch of ideas and inspiration for a campaign using the ideas in just those few chapters.


Presently, I'm thinking it will be a VSF-type conflict involving France and Prussia on a "lost world" island. This should provide plenty of opportunities for my goal of once a month solo gaming, at least until my WWII Pacific Island Assault troops are ready for the tabletop. This has the added benefit that all of the figures are painted up for the most part and won't add anything new to my "to paint" pile (the zoauves and chasserus d'afrique are already there).


But I digress.

This book is absolutely worth the price!

Bonus: Featherstone references chapters in his <i>Advanced Wargaming</i>  (recently reviewed on the Lone Warrior site) several times in these first few chapters. Which, by my reckoning, just serves as further justification for picking up that title as well!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorites. I utterly cherish my volume and return to it for inspiration again and again. It gives us a glimpse of true ingenuity and passion for gaming in an era when "solo" really meant something profoundly different than it does today in the age of the Internet and gaming consoles.

    ReplyDelete