Tuesday, July 17, 2012

on G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T.: Bits, bobs and Wrap up

This is the last entry in my week long (OK, it may have run a little longer than planned) G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. review.

There's a few last things I wanted to touch on:

1. People debate adding a stop card to the activation deck - I swear it comes up every few months. 

The authors don't do that in their games and I believe they've even written against it in replies on the Yahoo! group (but don't hold me to that).  No matter, nothing is stopping you from doing it. 

In a solo game, I think it's especially worthwhile. They can be particularly fun with a turn limit as a victory condition. Some of the turns will race by and you'll find yourself scrambling.

Head to head and I can see why it might be annoying if your card hasn't come up yet and I'd avoid them in that situation.

2. G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T is in the old school vein I think. They don't contain rules for every eventuality. The umpire or the players need to decide things on the fly sometimes. In the words of the greats, when in doubt, let the dice decide. This to me is how rules should be. I don't want to be hamstrung by the rules. And I certainly don't want to feel like I need a lawyer to understand them.

3. Although the author's wrote the rules for 10 figure units and 4 figure vehicle crews, you're not limited to those if you think it through and you own a couple of polyhedral dice. Or just as good, you can keep your computer handy and roll using rolz.org or an app on your smart phone if you have one.

Examples: 
  • 20 figure native units - use the d20 for morale, don't divide
    • For native units I also like using 20 figures but still using the d20 divided by 2 or a d10, as it means they can take a lot of damage before they falter.
  • Use a d10 for morale for 10 figure units instead (I've never really noticed any difference)
  • 12 figure battalions - use a d12 for morale, don't divide.
  • 6 figure cavalry squadrons - use a d12 and divide or use a d6
  • 5 figure crews - use d20, divide by 4 or a d10 divided by 2.
  • 4 figure crews - use a d4 or a d8 divided by 2 or a d12 divided by 3 or a d20 divided by 5.

You get the idea.

4. There is an active community centered around this game and if there's something you're thinking about trying, someone probably has already done it or can help you do it. Visit the Yahoo! group and the TMP forum both for Victorian Science Fiction and the G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T specific group.

The lists aren't nearly as active as say, THW's list, but certainly more active than many that I'm on.

***************

I recommend these rules highly - clearly or I wouldn't have spent a week talking about them - I have a lot of fun whenever I use them.

That said, I suggest skipping the compendium unless you have money to burn and just get the basic G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T rules (disclaimer: I've never seen the compendium. I just can't stomach the price).

You can play a few games and then decide if Battles by G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T is needed or not or if the compendium is worth the investment.

G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. is available in print (several wargame shops sell it or just search for it on Amazon) or as a PDF from WargameVault.
 
I hope those of you who've been thinking about G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. have found something helpful here. If you're still not decided either way, I suggest joining the Yahoo! group and checking out the group on TMP and tracking down some battle reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment