Monday, October 8, 2012

An RPG Weekend

Another weekend where the Labyrinth Lord game was scheduled and then cancelled. It's a little frustrating, but not unexpected when your group is composed of adults with jobs and families. We may try to play via Skype this week due to some business travel, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fortunately, I was able to get my group rpg fix: I played in a Call of Cthulhu game Saturday afternoon.We wrapped up our investigation from the last session - where fire, as usual, became the PC weapon of choice - and my character is now in possession of two rather handy dandy tomes: Revelations of Glaaki and The King in Yellow. Seems a bit like finding two really powerful magic items in a D&D campaign in one adventure - something that should be highly unlikely - but there it is. Now, given I only have 20 sanity points - I'm unlikely to read the former, but the latter doesn't pose a terrible risk (worst case 1d6).

On Sunday night, having more or less completed reading Tunnels & Trolls, I rolled up a character, and then another, and another, and another, in my attempt to make my through a solitaire adventure from the first issue of Trollzine, "The Blood War of Saxon." The two characters that survived, were banished from the town for failing the mission. The rest died in a variety of ways.

I did run into an one odd situation where a zombie couldn't hurt my character, thanks to my armor and shield, but due to my combat minus (-6), I couldn't hit it. And, being a solitaire, there was no option to go back (it seems even paragraphs where you are unscathed don't often have an option taking you back to the previous paragraph). I suppose I should have allowed my character that option, but I just decided that the PC would finally succumb to exhaustion and die.

I may run a few more characters through it, or I may just take one of my survivors and move them on to another solitaire.

On the miniature front, I glued my Russians to their painting sticks and they are ready for priming, along with some Irregular Dark Elves and Khurasan Salamanders in 15mm. The weather is right for spray priming and I expect this week will be dedicated to getting the painting started.


2 comments:

  1. The problem you had with the zombie was dealt with in edition 5.5 of the T&T rulebook. The way out is called "spite damage". Whenever you roll a 6, it counts as 1 spite damage point. Spite damage is recorded separately. So, let's say your character rolls 5, 6 and 1 for his 3D6 sword and has -6 adds, his HPT is (12-6=) 6, BUT because he rolled one 6, he also dealt 1 spite damage (that counts in spite of armor and even if he lost the combat round). Of course, the zombie will have the same advantage. Eventually, one of you will die because of the spite damage :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Grimtooth! I'll definitely use that next time. And, now I have more reason to pick up 5.5!

      Delete