Friday, November 9, 2012

Looking Ahead to the Weekend

Tonight promises Session 4 of the Labyrinth Lord game.

The players will be arriving at the village of Visby, a short distance from a mountain pass up into a lawless land that is truly the edge of the civilized world. I've arranged it so that every NPC will feed them something useful, if not entirely truthful, piece of information.

Top of the agenda, there's a ghoul currently making hors d'oeuvres of the village shepherds, and while the PCs are not heroic, the local sage is researching the bio-magical fauna of the duchy and would like the ghoul captured alive before the local cleric and townsfolk rally to destroy it or reseal it in its tomb. He has quite a reward for them should they succeed - one relevant to their main plot line. 

For the actual adventure, I have taken my original idea and restructured it using my recently acquired (it arrived yesterday) Dungeon Master's Design Kit.
This is the pic up on Amazon. Mine is in nearly identical condition, but from eBay.

Although an official AD&D game accessory, it's largely, if not entirely, system neutral and I feel it's already helped immensely in exposing me to a design process other than my own. Hopefully, I'll be able to improve my adventures to appeal to all of my players most of the time.

Because the players may have other ideas about their willingness to assist the sage,the village tavern/inn has some NPCs that will help advance the main plot - either for information or for additional adventures. Even the tavern itself has a task for the PCs, although it's one that will be of little interest to all but one player (it was designed for PCs with little money, and two of mine, while not wealthy, are more than comfortable). Still, the pay off is directly related to the main plot in an over-arching sort of way.

I'm pretty excited to see how it all plays out.

Saturday is supposed to be Call of Cthulhu, but as I mentioned in the previous post, I may be coming down with something and it's quite likely that I will forgo that, stay home, and work on my game for NaGa DeMon instead. In the event that I'm not sick, we're going to see Lincoln at night - a movie I'm sure to enjoy more than Lady Shadowmoss, but she graciously suggested we go

I also hope to get in a war game sometime this weekend - possibly Sunday night. It's been awhile and I'm thinking some WWII action in the Pacific would be fun. 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the movie.

    I don't think I've ever read the Dungeon Master's Design Kit, but I think I'll peruse eBay and see if they got any.

    You and Lady Shadowmoss have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! Unfortunately, I just continued to get sicker on Saturday and we had to cancel going to the movie.

      However, I did receive my print copy of Knowledge Illuminates so that eased my disappointment quite nicely!

      Delete